The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, found throughout the Eastern United States as far north as southern Vermont and west to Eastern Colorado, is the official state butterfly of Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, South Carolina and Virginia.
Butterflies emerge from their chrysalis in February to May, gathering near pools and streams where they drink and replenish minerals.
1. Print and cut out origami swallowtail butterfly.
For the next few steps, follow instructions to Monarch Butterfly Origami:
2a. With printed side facing down,
2b. Fold in half diagonally along B.
2c. Unfold and repeat the diagonal fold along C.
3a. With printed side facing up,
3b. Fold in half horizontally along A.
3c. Unfold. Your origami should be creased as illustrated.
4. Carefully fold along creases, forming a "tent" as illustrated.
5a. Fold the right "tent" corner up along D, as illustrated.
5b. Fold the left "tent" corner up along E, as illustrated.
6. Your Origami Western Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly should look like this:
7. Turn butterfly origami over, printed side down.
8a. Fold up along F. Note that corners will pull in to either side.
8b. Crease corners flat, as indicated by arrows.
9. Turn your origami butterfly over.
10a. Fold butterfly in half vertically, so wings are together.
10b. Crease one wing down, diagonally, to form body.
10b. Fold down the other wing, diagonally, as shown.
11. Open wings up. Your butterfly is done!
©2010 Tammy Yee
All rights reserved.